SNOW CAT GROOMER FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN BEGINS
The Pagosa Nordic Club (PNC) is NOW soliciting donations towards a used snow cat to help propel PNC’s trail grooming to the next level. We have determined that for us to provide frequent (daily) high quality trail grooming that will compete with other Colorado Destination Cross Country Skiing areas, we need to add a snowcat and haul truck to our equipment portfolio.
Donate for our Snowcat Now : (PAYPAL BUTTON)
A snowcat will provide the following benefits:
1) Ability to groom after dark and before sunrise, the best time to groom trails because of snow temperature and time for the surface to set up before skiing use. Also, no skier conflicts while grooming.
2) Heated cab provides better comfort for volunteers.
3) The weight of a snow cat provides much better trail snow compaction for a better and faster skiing surface.
4) Grooming after big snow storms will be accelerated with a snowcat. What takes 3-4 volunteers 5-6 hours each before trails have a quality skiing surface will now take 1-2 volunteers 4 hours each.
5) The snowcat will have a plow that can be used to assist with parking lot and access snow plowing, providing access after storms sooner.
6) If kept in good shape, the snowcat could be used as leverage (cash match) for a large State Trails grant to purchase a much newer and better used snowcat ($80,000- $100,000).
Our current fundraising effort is to raise $50,000 to purchase a used snowcat and haul truck.
We have structured a matching fundraising campaign and are asking the Board of County Commissioners to fund up to $25,000 from recreation 1a funds and asking our community for the matching $25,000. We are already close to $14,000 in financial commitments and feel confident we will be able to reach our fundraising goal to purchase a snowcat for this upcoming winter season.
Please consider a generous donation, any amount will help us get to our goal.
Donate for our Snowcat Now : (PAYPAL BUTTON)
2016-2017 Winter Season on the Horizon
Hello Nordic Skiing Enthusiasts.
Hope you all enjoyed the summer and beautiful fall colors here in Pagosa Springs !!!
Pagosa Nordic has much exciting news to share.
1) We have been working with the Pagosa Ranger District to secure a special use permit that will allow us to groom trails with a snow-cat. The permit is expected to be approved before the season begins and will provide PNC with more flexibility and covers our events as well.
2) In May 2016, the PNC Board approved the formation of a subcommittee to begin work on researching additional trail venues and how to fund a snow-cat. They have done an excellent job over the summer formulating a plan and securing additional grooming opportunities. Much of the following news is a result of their hard work and dedication. A big thank you to all involved.
3) We are about to embark on a fund raising campaign for purchasing a used snow-cat to help us with frequent quality grooming efforts. We want to raise $50,000 for a used snow-cat, grooming implement and haul truck. We are asking the Board of Archuleta County Commissioners to contribute up to $25,000 for our matching fundraising campaign and asking our community for the remaining $25,000. The purchase of this machinery will substantially help our grooming efforts, especially after big snow storms, in our mission to provide frequently groomed high quality nordic ski trails that will help attract more destination X-C Skiers in addition to providing excellent groomed trails for all of our local skiers too !
4) The Board of County Commissioners have approved PNC to groom Cloman Park, located off of Cloman Blvd , just north of the Airport entrance. Securing this location has allowed us to work with an adjacent ranch owner for permission to groom portions of their ranch as an extension of the Cloman Park trail system. We have one more property owner to work with regarding access through their property to access the ranch, and this agreement is expected to occur before the winter begins. Preliminary, we are expecting 10-20 km of new trails this season.
5) Additional grooming venues are being explored in an effort to ensure we have the best venue that holds good snow during lower snowfall years.
Please stayed tuned as we roll out our fund raising campaign, update our website, complete our events schedule, and prepare for another great nordic ski season !!.
Fill out the online form and become a PNC Member today!
All membership fees are used for trail supplies, fuel, and other expenses associated with grooming trails.
The Pagosa Nordic Club serves as the local advocate for groomed X-C Ski Trails and you can find current X-C Ski Trail grooming reports, trail maps, activity and event schedules at PagosaNordic.Com.
Pagosa Nordic is a 501(c)(3) non profit, 100% volunteer organization with a mission “To enhance winter recreational opportunities in Pagosa Springs by maintaining accessible groomed winter trails for skate skiing, classic cross country skiing & snowshoeing for all ability levels and to encourage and promote the use of these winter trails through education, marketing and events.
Please contact us if you have any interest in becoming a PNC Groomer. It is fun and very rewarding! Call James at 970-946-5549 for more information.
The 2015-16 winter season.
The Pagosa Nordic Club would like to send out a big thank you our 2015-2016 Members and Sponsors for their financial support. Their financial assistance helped to offset the expenses associated with grooming trails that Pagosa Nordic maintains.
ALSO, we would like to recognize and thank our grooming partners for their hard work and grooming efforts during the 2015-16 season:
- Wolf Creek Ski Area for letting us hold some of our events there and for grooming the lovely Alberta Nordic track throughout the season. This track is FREE to use!
- Pagosa Ranger District for grooming Coyote Hill and for assisting PNC with holding events in the national forest.
- Wolf Creek Trailblazers Snowmobile Club for their grooming efforts in the beautiful back-country, and a big thank you for coordinating the grooming for the Plumtaw ULTRA
- The Pagosa Nordic Club volunteers for grooming West Fork, Fall Creek, Yamaguchi Park, the Elementary School field, hosting race events, learn to ski clinics and more….