The Pagosa Nordic Club (PNC) has begun a fundraising campaign and is now soliciting donations towards a used snow cat to help propel PNC’s trail grooming to the next level. We have determined that for us to provide frequent (daily) high quality trail grooming. We need to add a newer generation used snow cat and haul truck to our equipment portfolio.
Please consider a generous donation today. Any amount will help us achieve our goal!
The Pagosa Nordic Club is a 501(C)3 non profit organization. All donations are tax deductible.
Click here for a list of generous individuals and businesses who have contributed to our fund!
We have structured a matching fundraising campaign for raising $55,000 as cash match for a State Trails Grant. We have submitted a grant application asking for $90,000 towards our equipment estimated cost of $145,000.
A snow-cat will provide the following benefits:
1) Ability to groom after dark and before sunrise. This is the best time to groom trails because of snow temperature and time needed for the surface to set up before skiing use. Also, no skier conflicts while grooming.
2) Heated cab provides better comfort for volunteers versus our current snowmobile grooming efforts.
3) The weight of a snow cat provides much better trail snow compaction for a better and faster skiing surface.
4) Grooming after big snow storms will be accelerated with a snowcat. What takes 3-4 volunteers 5-6 hours each before trails have a quality skiing surface will now take 1-2 volunteers 4 hours each.
5) The snowcat will have a plow that can be used to assist with parking lot and access snow plowing, providing quicker access to trail heads after storms.
6) Ultimately, a snowcat will provide a higher quality trail surface and is much easier to provide more frequent trail grooming. This will result in a higher quality skiing experience for all levels of skiers, locals and visitors a like, everyday. This will also help Pagosa Nordic to compete with other Colorado cross country skiing towns/areas for destination Nordic skiers!
GREAT NEWS! On November 1, 2016, the Archuleta County Board of County Commissioners awarded PNC up to $25,000 towards raising our $55,000 required State Tails Grant matching funds! The BoCC award is structured to ensure PNC raises $25,000 from other local sources. PNC has already received approximately $14,000 in donation commitments, so we are well on our way to raising the additional funds. The sooner we can raise the remaining funds, the sooner we can notify State Trails of our funding accomplishments, which will help our grant application score and chances to secure a grant during this current competitive grant funding round. Award notifications are expected in April 2017. If awarded, the purchase of a used new generation snowcat will occur for the 2017-18 season.